Our Mission and Ends Statements
First Unitarian Church of Des Moines Values
Authenticity, Acceptance, Connection, Wonder, Generosity of Spirit
- Grow ethically & spiritually
- Serve justly
- Love radically
Ends Statements 2016 – 2021
The people of First Unitarian Church, of all ages and backgrounds, connect in a transformative, authentic, liberal religious experience. We:
- Grow spiritually, emotionally, socially and ethically.
- Explore and experience what it means to be human.
- Cultivate compassion toward ourselves and others.
- Foster personal connections to life, nature and/or the divine.
- Seek, embrace and share experiences of wonder.
- Develop our Unitarian Universalist identities.
The people of First Unitarian Church connect in community to support one another and honor the web of life. We:
- Ask for and receive loving presence from one another, especially in times of joy, sorrow and transition.
- Respectfully connect across differences for understanding.
- Intentionally invite and engage others to grow in community with us.
- Generously share our time, talent and treasure.
- Maintain a facility and grounds appropriate for our needs and aligned with our values.
The people of First Unitarian Church nurture justice in the world. We:
- Build authentic partnerships, responding to needs our partners articulate.
- Show up with passion and enthusiasm to grow our values in the world.
- Share our talent and resources to support groups with whom we share values.
- Provide leadership and space for civil discourse.
- Welcome and accept transformation that comes through authentic relationships within and beyond our church.