You asked for them and they are coming! First Unitarian is beginning a Chalice Group small-group ministry program!
What is a Chalice Group?
Chalice Groups are fun and meaningful small group ministries which meet once a month. During their 60–90-minute meetings, each group discusses the monthly topic; topics designed to generate conversation and thought without requiring homework.
How Do They Work?
Each Chalice Group of 8-10 people meets monthly with a Group Facilitator. The Facilitators are being recruited now, so if you are interested, please email email@example.com and volunteer. Each Facilitator picks a time and a location for their Chalice Group. The Facilitators names, and their times and locations will be shared in the Intercom and in physical sign-up sheets at church beginning May 15th, 2022. People can sign up under the Facilitator they choose. Locations may include Zoom only groups.
Groups will kick off for a three-month trial beginning the week of June 5th, 2022. Once a group is formed, no new members may be added, though new additional groups may form. Chalice Groups are designed to allow deeper connections and more meaningful conversations among a stable group who want to get to know one another and find community and connection.
- How long does a Group last?
- Three months or six months.
- This first cycle will last 90 days or so. After that, we will be doing sign-ups twice a year, or about every six months, in September and March. September sign-ups will be for Groups running October-March (6 months), and March sign-ups are for Groups running either April-June (3 months) or April-September (6 months). Facilitators and Group members can decide if they want to participate in a Group meeting all summer, or choose to offer or join a shorter cycle.
- Can I change Groups at the next sign-up?
- Yes. People are encouraged to try different Groups.
- Can I stay with the same Group?
- What if our Group doesn’t like the topic for the month?
- Pick a different topic you like better.
- Can I quit being a Facilitator if I don’t like it?
- Yes, though we do ask Facilitators try to continue through the remainder of whatever the current cycle is if at all possible.
- Can we meet at a bar or restaurant? Outside? At 7am? At midnight?
- Sure. A Facilitator can offer any time and location, and people can sign up for a Group that best meets their needs.
- What if I can’t be there every time?
- People are asked to commit to at least 2 meetings of a 3-month cycle, and 4 meetings of a 6-month cycle. Chalice Groups rely on people being present to develop deeper relationships.
- Can our Group change our time and day during a cycle? Could we decide to go bowling or swimming or to a movie instead of meeting?
- Of course, if the whole group agrees.
- What do Facilitators have to do?
- Facilitators have to:
- Attend a monthly meeting with the other Facilitators and the minister to choose the monthly topic and try it out together to make sure it generates conversation
- Send out reminder emails to their Group about their monthly time and location
- Tell their Group what this month’s topic is and get the conversation going
- Except in cases of emergency, commit to Facilitating for the length of this Group cycle (so either three or six months at a time)
Watch for the sign-up sheets beginning May 15th at church, and consider volunteering to Facilitate today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.