Job Openings at UCDSM
First Unitarian Church of Des Moines is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
The Youth Program Coordinator will provide creative and dynamic leadership of youth programs and compassionate and enthusiastic support for high school youth at First Unitarian Church of Des Moines, in collaboration with the Director of Religious Education and the Faith Formation Council.
The position reports to the Director of Religious Education. All personnel policies apply to this position.
This position is for an energetic person who is able to work within appropriate professional boundaries and right relations with high school youth and their families, with congregation members, and with church staff. The position requires good oral and written communication skills, and a strong understanding of group dynamics and group process. A well-established UU identity is desirable but is not required for this position. The position can be filled by a person with previous experience in other traditions.
This is an 8-hour/week position. The initial starting wage is $14.00 per hour. Hours are flexible and include nights and weekends. (Off June and July)
The Youth Coordinator shall:
- Actively build relationships and develop leadership with First Unitarian Church of Des Moines high school youth, their parents, volunteer youth advisors and the congregation as a whole to enhance engagement by and with the high school youth as a youth group, and as a part of the entire congregation
- Guide, assist, and monitor high school youth and advisors as they plan and execute special projects and events (including, but not limited to, fundraising, mission trips and participation in youth conventions)
- Aid in transition for middle school youth to high school programming
- Engage in continuing education through district or UUA based leadership trainings, such as OWL, Basic/Advanced Youth Advisor, etc.
- Act as a conduit to district and UUA youth programs, trainings, and conferences for youth from grades 9 – 12.
- Be a positive and compassionate role model who maintains appropriate relationship boundaries and complies with First Unitarian Church of Des Moines’s Safe Congregation policy.
- Be the primary staff member responsible for working with the high school youth and advisors on a yearly worship service.
Meet regularly with the Director of Religious Education for Children and Youth, and as needed with the RE Assistant
E-mail your résumé to Tracy Beck, Director of Religious Education, at email@example.com.
Child Care Provider
Position Overview: The task of the Child Care Provider is to provide care and supervision for children while the children’s parents/guardians are attending church programs.
Supervisor: Amanda DuBose, Child Care Coordinator
Closing Date: Position will remain open until filled.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide loving care and attention to the children in your care, primarily infants through age 4 but may include older children, developing positive relationships with them and helping them enjoy their time at church
- Be attentive to children when they are engaged in free play, read and/or sing to children, play with them, comfort those who are upset
- Change diapers and assist children in using the restroom
- Help keep the space in which the children play safe and fun for them by keeping it tidy; disinfecting tables, toys and other surfaces; and watching for any unsafe items in the room, such as a broken toy or something too small for an infant to play with
- Interact with parents/guardians in a manner that is both warm and helpful. Help them sign their children in, ask about any special needs, and tell them about their child’s time in care
- Education, training, or experience to successfully and competently execute Essential Job Functions
- Previous experience working with young children
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position
- 16 years of age or older
- Applicants 18 years of age and older will be required to complete a background check prior to employment
- Warm and caring in interactions with children and their families
- General knowledge of infant and toddler development
- Self-motivated to do the job well
- Flexibility in dealing with unexpected events
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters regarding visitors, members, friends, and staff of First Unitarian Church of Des Moines
- Respectful of a wide range of religious beliefs
- Able to work with little to no supervision
Hours & Pay
- Part-time position that schedules around your life
- Days and hours to possibly include some Sunday mornings from 9:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. (reduced hours in the summer), and Wednesday nights from 5:30 to 8:45 p.m., with other dates/times dependent on when other church programming needs arise
- You are NOT expected to work every Sunday morning or every Wednesday night! We are flexible and will work with you
- Starting pay: $10/hour
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
E-mail your résumé to Amanda DuBose, Child Care Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.