One of the simplest but most essential ways we create a Beloved Community together is by being intentional about how we welcome one another into our church, and providing a comfortable and enjoyable environment for everyone.
First Unitarian Church has 18 Hospitality Teams that rotate responsibility for greeting, ushering, and kitchen duties on Sunday mornings. All church members were invited to join a team when this model was introduced in 2015, and new members are invited to join a team when they join the church. If you are not yet a member, or we missed you earlier, and you would like to join a Hospitality Team, please contact Mary Kay Reser, our volunteer Hospitality Coordinator.
What do members of the hospitality teams do?
Links below = full volunteer description (PDFs)
- Greeters welcome everyone into our space and help orient newcomers
- Ushers pass out the Orders of Service and hymnals, collect and count the offering, and other light duties to help service run smoothly
- Kitchen Crew members put out treats brought by ALL members of the hospitality team and clean up afterwards
- Hospitality Team Leaders keep all members of their team organized by sending out reminders and serving as the point of contact for their team
- Hospitality Coordinator serves as the overall organizer of Hospitality Ministry and the main point-of-contact for the church’s 18 hospitality teams. This is one of the key lay leadership positions at First Unitarian.
Hospitality Teams serve during one service time on a set Sunday, every other month. For example, the 11:00 service on the first Sunday of the odd-numbered months (January, March, May, July, September, November).
Information for Current Hospitality Teams
- Wondering when your next hospitality date is? Check out the Hospitality Team Schedule (PDF)
- Please check the Hospitality Binder in the church kitchen for detailed instructions for greeters & ushers, checklists, and instructions on making coffee.
- Review the “Welcoming vs. Othering” handout for creating a more welcoming environment. Copies are also available at the Welcome Desk.
- Want to see greeting modeled? Watch this “Ministry of Welcoming” video made by our colleagues at the Fox Valley UU Fellowship in Wisconsin