Over 25 years ago, the Welcoming Congregations Team helped guide this congregation into being a place where lesbian, gay, and bisexual people felt not only included but actively invited into and connected with the community. We were one of the first congregations to be recognized as a Welcoming Congregation by the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The work of being a Welcoming Congregation is ongoing. The Welcoming Congregations Reboot Team has formed to take on the tasks needed to recommit ourselves to inclusive practices, to actively work towards including transgender and queer people in our church, and to partner with other organizations to take our welcoming message to the greater community. In doing so, we will deepen our welcome to the LGBTQ community.
- The Reboot Team has established subcommittees to move our process forward:
- Assessment Team: to review the church and the congregation to identify where we have room to grow. Current members: Jean McClurken, Doug Aupperle
- Programming/Education Team: to develop workshops and other enrichment educational opportunities for the congregation. Current members: Lisa Irey, Devon McClurken
- Communications Team: to share our efforts with the larger congregation. Current members: Gianfranco Berardi, Bill Paxson
- Finance Team: to manage our REACH Grant funds. Current member: Barb Royal
- Admin Team: to develop the larger strategy and act as liaison to the church officials. Current member: Mark Profit
- Chair: organize meetings, share information, and check in with subgroups. Current chair: Ben Spick
We’re looking for a large cross-section of the congregation to be actively involved. Are you interested in joining a team dedicated to ensuring our church is a welcoming place to the LGBTQ community? Contact Ben Spick at btspick(at)gmail(dot)com