Dr. Jennifer Harvey is an award-winning educator and author is offering a course called Raising Antiracist White Kids: A step-by-step guide to parenting for racial justice.
We face real challenges exist when it comes to raising white children in a society that is full of racial injustice. Should we teach white kids to be “colorblind”? Or, to notice race? What roles do we want them to play in addressing racism when they encounter it? How do we best do that?
In this course you will learn to:
- recognize the impact of “white silence” and develop skills to interrupt it;
- talk about race with white children with curiosity and confidence;
- go beyond “equality” or “colorblindness” and toward race-conscious and justice-conscious ways of engaging children and youth;
- nurture habits in your parenting and caregiving that support antiracist development in the lives of the white children and youth in your life;
- recognize the importance of finding a community of accountability to support your own antiracist commitment as we work together to create a future where all of us can flourish.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in this course. There is a cost of $129 per person for the course that First Unitarian Church would be able to subsidize.