Faith Formation Overview
The great end in religious instruction is not to stamp our minds on the young, but to stir up their own: not to make them see with our eyes , but to look inquiringly and steadily with their own. — W. E. Channing
Faith Formation at First Unitarian Church of Des Moines is a place of connection and growth at every age. We offer liberal religious exploration, drawn from our Unitarian Universalist traditions, which affirms the great spiritual truths of all religions.
Our goals are to develop:
- an enjoyment and appreciation of worship
- reverence for the sacred and all life
- a rich and meaningful spiritual life
- an enduring connection with Unitarian Universalism
At the First Unitarian Church of Des Moines
- Our mission is to Inspire Spiritual Growth, Prepare for Service, to Heal the World.
- Our vision is to live our values as a deeply engaged community where members are free to pursue their spiritual paths and understanding of truth and are empowered to bear prophetic witness and advocate for justice
We assist each child in nurturing a spiritual life, ethical awareness, Unitarian Universalist identity, and faith development. The Faith Formation Council, together with the Director of Faith Formation, carefully choose our curricula that best fit these objectives in age-appropriate groupings. For more information, contact Devon McClurken, DFF, at email@example.com
The Mission of Adult Faith Formation is to support First Unitarian Church of Des Moines’ current Ends Statements by enabling people of all ages and backgrounds to develop and express their unique physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual lives. Adult Faith Formation classes aim to provide safe, sanctified spaces to explore paths for crossing divisions between people and ideas, to put ideas into action, and to encourage the pursuit of practices which foster respect, affirmation and justice for all people.