To enable connections with each other, with our deepest selves, and with the world. Members, friends and visitors of First Unitarian come together to share, reflect, and serve the larger community.
These small, relational groups made up of six to ten people led by facilitators meets monthly (and sometimes bi-weekly) to establish and nurture themselves in this community, to explore and engage monthly religious service themes in more depth, and to reconnect with their deepest selves, life’s gifts, and needs greater than their own. Each group may covenant to perform at least one service project of their choice for the church or larger community during the year. Child care is available for groups meeting at church on Wednesday evenings and for other meeting times upon request.
Learn more about Soul Matters Sharing Circle at www.soulmatterssharingcircle.com
Registration for Soul Matters groups will begin August 9, 2018. After August 31, you can enroll by emailing Tracy Beck, DRE at email@example.com.
Monthly themes for 2018-19
Each month, we consider the question “What does it mean to be a people of…”
- Vision: The practice of intentional imagination (September)
- Sanctuary: The practice of finding sacred space within & ensuring welcoming space for all (October)
- Memory: The practice of honest remembrance & honoring the shoulders on which we stand (November)
- Mystery: The practice of embracing life with humility and awe (December)
- Possibility: The practice of personal unfolding and prophetic vision (January)
- Trust: The practice of commitment and faith in a love that won’t let us go (February)
- Journey: The practice of pilgrimage, courageous growth and patient change (March)
- Wholeness: The practice of repairing what is broken and knowing we are enough (April)
- Curiosity: The practice of moving from fear to open-heartedness (May)
- Beauty: The practice of savoring life’s gifts (June)
Because of changes in the Soul Matters program rules, we will be unable to post the monthly packets on this page. Your facilitator will email you a PDF of the packet each month and paper copies can be picked up at church.
What happens at a “Soul Matters” meeting?
- Chalice lighting and a short reading or piece of music.
- Brief check-in. Members briefly share what is going on “beneath the surface” for them. Typically takes no more than 20 minutes.
- Facilitated discussion inspired by the monthly participant packet (readings, questions for reflection and suggested spiritual exercises which participants receive a few weeks before the meeting). For 2017-2018 we will consider the question “What does it mean to be a people of ________?” (see monthly themes)
- Check-out. An opportunity to briefly share reactions to the meeting.
- Closing words or music.
Groups meet monthly (Sept. – June) for no more than two hours at a time. When participants enroll, they will select a regular time slot from among several options, such as 3rd Thursdays of the month from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. There are two groups this year that will meet twice a month – the first meeting is an introduction to the theme; the second meeting will “dive deep” into the theme. Groups may meet at the church or off-site.