Faith Formation News
This past month Reverend Jennifer talked about the local advocacy group, Connections Matter.
There is so much information on their page on this important topic- http://www.connectionsmatter.org/
I challenge you this month to try one of the suggested Connections! If you would like to make a connections with your Director of Religious Education, please email me firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to get coffee and get to know you!
I am excited to announce the hiring of Naomi Adams, as a Sunday morning assistant teacher in the Preschool-Grade 1 class at 9:15 am and also the Multi-Age Class at 11 am. We are so grateful to have her with the team!
We have had a lot going on…. Our Whole Lives classes and up and going, Coming of Age youth have all met their mentors and completed their Chalice Circle Retreat at Camp Hantesa. FaithFull Families has been exploring the theme of Courage this past month and Sunday morning classes all participated in the Dismantling White Supremacy- Teach-in #2 on October 22. Our High Schoolers are busy planning their “CONspiracy Theory Youth CON” the weekend of November 3-5th. Each week, there are are over 40 volunteers needed to facilitate faith formation classes on Wednesday and Sunday nights. Please tell your child’s/youth’s facilitator thank you the next time you see them!
Adult Faith Development classes, Soul Matters groups and Wellspring groups are providing opportunities for folks to get involved and also to think more deeply about a variety of topics. We will be planning classes for the Winter/Spring very soon! Please email Tracy Beck at email@example.com if you are interested in a topic not currently being offered or facilitating a new Soul Matters group.
It had been advertised that there might possibly be a second session of Grades 5/6 OWL offered in the Winter/Spring session. Due to room constraints as well as a need of facilitators in the K/1 OWL class, the Grades 5/6 OWL class WILL NOT be held in January. It will be offered again Fall 2018.
Please email Tracy Beck at firstname.lastname@example.org as to whether or not your child might want to be involved with Soul Matters for Kids Grades 5/6 beginning in January and running through May. It would held from 6:15 – 7:30 pm on Wednesday evenings. (see description below)
In order for the group to happen:
- I will need a viable number of participants – please let me know asap your intentions
- I will need to form a group of folks that are willing to be on the FaithFull Families team – I am working on this.
Thank you for responding!
-Tracy Beck, DRE
Soul Matters Theme for November:
What does it mean to be a people of Abundance?
Family and Parent Resources
These resources support parents as they try to live out and engage our themes with their children. Playing off our monthly theme question of “What does it mean to be a people of Abundance?”, we can also ask ourselves “What does it mean to be a parent of Abundance” or “What does it mean to be a family of Abundance?”
From Tapestry of Faith; Signs of Our Faith; Session 7: We Share; Taking It Home
Family activities based on building a sharing ethic.
Exploring Family Rituals at Meal times
From Tapestry of Faith; Creating Home; Session 11: Bless this Meal
The Opposite of Spoiled; Raising Kids Who are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money
By Ron Lieber, NYT Personal Finance Columnist
Countering the materialistic and “scarcity” messages of our culture.
Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season
by Jo Robinson (Author), Jean C. Staeheli (Author)
A guide to reducing the commercialism of the upcoming winter holidays.
For Native American Heritage Month
Rated G/PG/PG-13 and suggested by FirstNations.org
Chiefs (2002) 1 hr 24min | Documentary – An observational documentary about the on and off-court struggles of Native American basketball players at Wyoming Indian High School. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369086/
Updated… Sunday Help Still Needed
Facilitators for Sunday Morning Classes are Still Needed
At 9:15 am….
1 Assistant for Grades 2-3 Spirit Play
1 Assistant for Grades 4-5 Windows and Mirrors/Toolbox of Faith
1 Lead for Grades 6-8 Building Bridges – A World Religions Program
At 11 am…..
2 Leads for the Multi-Age Spirit Play classroom
Please let Tracy Beck know if you are interested, let’s get coffee and talk!
Holiday Music Service
Is your child or youth interested in singing during the Holiday Music Service on December 10th? We are looking for some children and youth that might want to rehearse after dinner on Wednesday nights. Please email Tracy Beck email@example.com
We are HIRING!
Please email Tracy Beck firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. To begin Immediately.
Ideally, we are looking for candidates who match any of the following criteria:
- Current or former daycare providers
- Current or former pre-school or elementary teachers
- Current high school students (at least age 16), college students or recent college graduates with a major in early childhood or elementary education
- Work under the direct supervision of the Director of Religious Education (DRE)
- Provide positive classroom management and create community in specific cluster
- Work with volunteer teachers in conducting specific activities related to curriculum and also be willing to lead activities
- Maintain attendance information and related reporting for assigned Cluster
- Must be able to teach nearly every Sunday during the church year from approximately 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (You may have one Sunday off per month-must ask 1 week in advance)
- Background check required if 18 years of age
- Enjoys and relates well with young children
- Mature and responsible
- Collaborative, friendly nature
- Sense of humor
- Previous teaching experience; preferably in early childhood education or religious education
- Previous experience (preferred) or working familiarity with the values, principles, and practices of the Unitarian Universalist faith
- Ability to work with volunteers, and a willingness to work closely with parents
- $10 an hour
Dates of Importance
Friday, November 3 – Sunday, November 5:
CONspiracy Theory Youth CON (No YRUU on Nov. 5 evening)
Sunday, November 19:
Service for All Ages – No Sunday Morning Faith Formation Classes
Wednesday, November 22:
No Wednesday Night Programming