Community Outreach Partners
Every year, the Faith in Action team at First Unitarian selects six community non-profit organizations nominated by a church member/friend to partner with for a 2-month period of time, to give not only of our financial resources, but our time and talents as well. Each Community Outreach Partner receives a financial donation from the congregation (range of $1000 – $2000 is typical), plus volunteer assistance to help with one or more projects.
- Learn more about our current Community Outreach Partner.
- Learn more about our past Community Outreach Partners.
- Learn more about how to apply to be a Community Outreach Partner.
Ongoing Community Partners
In addition, First Unitarian partners with community organizations to further the missions of justice work in the greater Des Moines area, Iowa, and globally.
- AMOS (A Mid-Iowa Organizing Strategy) seeks to channel individual action into a responsible and powerfully-organized force for the common good.
First Unitarian voted to become a member institution of AMOS in 2003, and many First Unitarian members are active participants in AMOS. Learn more about AMOS here.
- DMARC (Des Moines Area Religious Council) runs programs to feed, assist and nurture the needs of greater Des Moines, and works with over 125 member congregations (including First Unitarian). As a member congregation, First Unitarian supports DMARC financially, and a Red Barrel is located in the lobby for collecting food donations year-round. Learn more about DMARC here.
- Family Promise: We are one of Des Moines’ host congregations, assisting families experiencing homelessness. Click here to learn more.
- Interfaith Alliance of Iowa celebrates religious freedom by championing the rights of individuals, by promoting policies that protect both religion and democracy, and by empowering diverse voices to challenge extremism. First Unitarian is proud to support Interfaith Alliance in furthering our shared goals. Learn more about Interfaith Alliance of Iowa here.
- Side with Love is a public advocacy campaign that seeks to harness love’s power to stop oppression. It is sponsored by the Unitarian Universalist Association and all are welcome to join. Learn more here.
- Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) is a nonsectarian human rights organization powered by grassroots collaboration to work anywhere rights are threatened – by natural disasters, armed conflicts, genocide, forced migration, and systematic injustice. Learn more about UUSC here.