Community Outreach Partner
In November and December, First Unitarian is partnering with Lutheran Services Iowa (LSI).
LSI is one of Iowa’s largest nonprofit human services agencies. Their heart beats for the people they serve. They empower families and communities by recognizing and honoring the strengths and gifts of every individual.
As a part of LSI, the Refugee Career Pathways (RCP) program supports refugees and immigrants, their attainment of self-sufficiency, and meaningful work with career growth opportunities. Volunteers will join the RCP team by celebrating and networking with RCP’s participants during an alumni event and degree evaluation session.
Save the date for three volunteer opportunities with LSI: Saturday, December 7
1.) Food tasting for Healthcare workers, 11:00 to 12:30 pm (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0844aaa92ba6fb6-food)
An opportunity to provide a variety of foods and beverages for those in the healthcare fields. Volunteers can choose to…
- make samples
- help to set up and explain the samples to the students
- help to make worksheets or a vocabulary list for English language learners
2.) Alumni celebration/ Networking From 1 to 3 pm (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0844aaa92ba6fb6-alumni)
LSI’s Career Pathways program has graduated more than 150 students over the course of two years. We have two goals:
- To celebrate Career Pathways participants’ achievements and opportunities.
- To build a network of mentors and employers for Career Pathways participants
Volunteers can either/or:
- Provide snacks and coffee, decorations and then stay for the fun!
- Come celebrate with Alumni as Mentors/employers from various career industries.
3.) Degree Evaluation 11:00 to 3:00 pm (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0844aaa92ba6fb6-degree)
Goal: To provide degree evaluations. LSI’s Career Pathways has had requests for degree evaluations from a small group of students.
- Volunteers can use their personal laptops and computer skills to do online applications for degree evaluations.