Community Outreach Partner
In May and June, First Unitarian Church is partnering with Young Women’s Resource Center (YWRC). The Center serves young females 10-21 years of age in the Des Moines area helping them “come of age” safely. Interested in the success of all girls, the overarching goal of each program is to foster healthy decision making and prevent risky behaviors. A community based non-profit for almost 40 years, services such as in and after school programs, counseling and young moms groups are provided to 4000+ individuals each year. First Unitarian Church of Des Moines is proud to partner with YWRC by supporting the Young Moms groups.
The Young Women’s Resource Center provides a broad range of perinatal services for pregnant and parenting young women ages 13-21. At a time when young women can feel most alone or in need of help, the Young Women’s Resource Center can bring some comfort and stability through its programs and classes. These programs are designed to equip the young mom or expecting mom with the skills to address the challenges of parenting so that she can focus on its joys.
There are several opportunities to get involved in June to support Young Moms:
- Graduation Party (June 7): Provide food or help serve at Union Park!
Sign up and you will be invited to select items!
- Camp Hantesa Young Moms Camp (June 10): Help staff oversee children while moms are having some mom time will be part of our duties.
Sign up for a morning or afternoon shift
- Lunches for Summer Girls Programs (June 19-23): Prepare and serve lunch.
Sign up to help with a lunch
Please leave donations in the pack-n-play under the Outreach Partner bulletin board at church.
YWRC Can Always Use:
- Diapers (esp newborn, ones and fives)
- Formula (Similac Advanced or Similac Sensitive Preferred)
- “Glad” plastic containers – oval and rectangular – pint and quart
YWRC Needs for Camp Hantesa weekend (flyer on bulletin board)
- Child-safe bug spray
- Aloe Vera
- Swim Diapers (S & M)
- Swim Towels
YWRC Needs for Summer Girls Programs:
- Composition books – used as notebooks for the week
- Art/Craft materials
Link to General Donation list – https://ywrc.org/donate/accepted-donations/
* First Unitarian Outreach Partners receive 50% of the collections in the service offertory basket for 2 months. A minimum of two opportunities to be involved in the organization’s work are offered during the same 2 month time period. To learn more about the Outreach Partner program, including how to apply, go to http://ucdsm.org/faith-in-action.