Community Outreach Partner
In March and April, First Unitarian Church is partnering with Planned Parenthood of the Heartland. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland (PPHeartland) is one of the largest and oldest reproductive health organizations in the Midwest, and we operate 14 health centers across Iowa and Nebraska. In Polk County we have three health centers and provide education, outreach and advocacy. The mission of PPHeartland is to provide, promote and protect reproductive and sexual health through health services, education and advocacy. For more than eight decades, we have been committed to cultivating communities where people have meaningful access to the reproductive health care they need, where sexual health education is comprehensive and equitable, and where individuals have the right to lead a healthy and meaningful life. Last year, we provided reproductive and sexual health care to 52,963 individuals across our affiliate, reached 55,414 individuals through our education and outreach services, and advocated to protect reproductive health rights in the communities we serve.
In April, we are collecting items to be used by our clinic and education staff. Please bring the items to church and place in the tubs in the gathering area before April 30. Items on the wish list are:
- Compressed air duster (computer)
- Cell phone charging stations and chargers for patient waiting areas.
- Throw blankets
- Poster frames
- Single serve snacks, crackers, cookies, chips trail mix, fruit snacks,etc.
- Candy bars and bags of wrapped candies
- Single serve bottles of sprite/7-up
- Bottles of water and juice
- Clorox wipes
- Laundry soap
- Dryer sheets
- Maxi Pads
- Pens and pencils (mechanical)
- Copy paper
- Pads of writing paper
- Post its
- Adult coloring books
- Dry erase markers
- Colored pencils
Also – Volunteer at our spring book sale April 20-24!
Booksale link: http://desmoinesbooksale.com/
* First Unitarian Outreach Partners receive 50% of the collections in the service offertory basket for 2 months. A minimum of two opportunities to be involved in the organization’s work are offered during the same 2 month time period. To learn more about the Outreach Partner program, including how to apply, go to http://ucdsm.org/faith-in-action.