When: 6 weeks, Wednesdays, 4/17-4/24, 5/8-5/29 (No Class on 5/1), 6:45-8:15 p.m.
Where: First Unitarian Church, Room 105
Sign up by 4/14 by emailing: transgender(dot)action(dot)group(dot)UCDSM(at)gmail(dot)com
Do you want to take your knowledge and skills to the next level in terms of trans identity and creating a congregation that is fully inclusive and affirming of the full breadth of gender diversity? Regardless of where you and/or your congregation are on your journey, this course is for you. Join Rev. Mykal Slack and Zr. Alex Kapitan in deeply exploring the intersection of trans identity and UU faith and community, and gain the grounding, context, and skills to transform ourselves and our congregations.
This course is for everyone: from novices to trans identity to those with decades of life experience. Rather than offering a “trans 101,” this class will push all participants to the next level of congregational welcome, relationship-building, and skills-building. Congregational teams (e.g., religious education, hospitality, caring ministry, social justice teams, board members, councilors, staff, etc.) are particularly encouraged to participate.
The course will:
1. ground participants in faith and the idea of “welcome” as a spiritual practice
2. explore our history and personal experience around gender-based oppression in faith communities and elsewhere in our lives
3. unpack the gender binary and introduce an expansive model for understanding gender
4. discuss the experiences of trans people, as well as trans spirituality
5. address the root causes of trans exclusion in congregations
6. give participants the tools and next steps they need to create trans-affirming culture shift in their own congregation or other faith group
This course is sponsored by Transforming Hearts Collective and by UUA Multicultural Ministries. More information is at https://transforming-hearts-collective.teachable.com/