At its core, being a member involves the four Ps:
- Presence – Attend church services and programming, as you are able.
- Participation – Get involved in the life of our community in ways that grow your soul. All new members are asked to serve on a hospitality team to assist with Sunday services six times a year by greeting visitors, ushering and providing refreshments after services.
- Pledge – All members are expected to make and pay a regular pledge of financial support. If finances are a challenge, a waiver may be granted upon request. We believe that money should never be a barrier to membership.
- Pass it on – Share your pride in our religious community by talking to people about our church and what it means to you!
UU and You Class
Who: Anyone wanting to know more about us or considering becoming a member.
When: Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. CT.
Leader(s): Rev. Amy Petrie Shaw and Lyra Halsten, Membership Coordinator.
Participants will learn more about Unitarian-Universalism, First Unitarian Church of Des Moines, and what it means to be a member. This is one of the two classes required for those who would like to become members.
Registration is required.
If you would like additional information, please email Lyra Halsten at email@example.com.
The Membership Process
- Attend several services. By attending regularly, you will get a feel for our community and begin to learn more about our faith.
- The first step to becoming a member of First Unitarian Church of Des Moines is to speak with our Membership Coordinator, Lyra Halsten (she/her/hers). She’ll be happy to answer your questions and help you get involved in our community. If you would like to begin the membership process, Lyra will help you as you design your own journey using our new Pathways to Membership form.
- Visitor and new member classes are held throughout the year. You are not required to join the church to take the classes; however, taking the classes is required if you decide to join.
- Those who decide to formalize their membership will be given an Intent to Join form and asked to make a pledge of financial support. For special financial circumstances please talk to Rev. Amy Petrie Shaw (they/them/their) or our Membership Coordinator, Lyra Halsten. No one will be refused membership due to inability to make a financial pledge.
- Return the form to Lyra at firstname.lastname@example.org, or print and mail it to First Unitarian Church of Des Moines, 1800 Bell Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa, 50315.
- Your pledge can be made directly on our website using our online Pledge Form. A PDF of the pledge form is also available if you would prefer to print it off and mail it to us.
We hope you that you will choose to become a member of our community! First Unitarian is a place where you’ll find opportunities to Grow Ethically and Spiritually, Serve Justly, and Love Radically. We’re eager to support you on your journey and are looking forward to welcoming you soon! If you have any questions regarding expectations of members, the membership process, or to be notified when the New Member classes will be held, please contact Lyra at (515) 244-8603, ext. 103, or at email@example.com.