Led by our Faith in Action (FIA) Coordinating Team, our congregation selects two nonprofit organizations each to receive financial support with proceeds from our Sunday service collection. Half of the weekly contributions support our own church social justice activities, and the remaining half is divided between our two FIA partners. Recipients are nominated by church members and chosen at our annual church meeting on the first Sunday after Memorial Day. We have proudly worked with more than 20 community partners.
Faith in Action Coordinating Team
Each spring, the FIA Coordinating Team solicits applications from congregation members for outside organizations to become one of our two annual Faith in Action partners. One of the criteria for selecting these organizations is that there will be opportunities for church members to be involved in community service and volunteer work.
- Judy Davis
- Steve Gilson
- Jack Hackett
- Hillary Hippen-Leek (special projects)
- Harvey Harrison (Just Voices champion)
- Gene McCracken (Knock and Drop champion)
Our 2021-22 Partner Organizations
Knock and Drop
Knock and Drop provides food to members of the Latino community in the greater Des Moines area as a response to food insecurity that arose during the COVID-19 shut down. After using First Unitarian’s parking lot as a distribution location for several months in 2020, Knock and Drop now has a permanent location at Franklin Jr. High in Des Moines. Roughly a year after its inception, Knock and Drop has provided food to more than 5,000 families and is a rapidly growing 501(c)3 Latino service organization.
How to Nominate an Organization
When considering a Faith in Action nomination:
- You and your contact at the organization need to read the FIA Partnership Responsibilities.
- If you and your contact person think this might be a good fit, you’ll need to work together to complete the nomination form and submit it to the FIA team by April 18, 2022, for the 2022-2023 partnership year.