Volunteering With First Unitarian Church of Des Moines
We are an active community! As we move toward gathering in-person as often as safety allows, we’re hoping to build a support system of volunteers who can help with various events both in the church and out in the Des Moines Metro Area. The goal is to create a list of people who would like to be contacted when First Unitarian or affiliated groups need volunteers.
Examples of First Unitarian Church events and other volunteer opportunities:
- Grounds Cleanup
- Our grounds are beautiful! It takes diligent, regular work to keep them that way. If you have time to spare and enjoy working outdoors, please consider volunteering to assist with Grounds Cleanup.
- First Unitarian Music & Art Festival
- Live music, great original art, unique gifts, and food. Fun for the entire family! We can use all the help we can get, from co-hosts who can answer questions about the church and the art show to hospitality volunteers to make sure no one’s cup runneth dry.
By filling out the form below, you are helping us build that support system. Please note that you can decline any volunteer invitations you might receive; this form is only giving First Unitarian Church notice of your willingness and general availability to help. Thank you for taking the time to participate!
Volunteerism Sign-Up Form
"*" indicates required fields
We all need a bit of help now and then. Caring Ministry involves a broad group of volunteers who are ready to assist with a variety of needs, such as:
- New baby arrival – meals, mommy/daddy relief, baby quilt
- Rides – to church (temporary basis only) or to the doctor
- Meals – during illness or injury, new baby in the family, or in a time of distress
- Household tasks – lawn care, housecleaning, etc. (temporary basis only)
- Cards – when you might not want visitors, but an encouraging word or something humorous would be appreciated
- Errands/shopping – to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus and to keep safe those in our community who are most vulnerable
If you would like to become part of the Caring Ministry Team, please fill out the form below.
If you need help please don’t hesitate to request assistance from our Caring Ministry Team.
Provide Caring Assistance Sign-Up Form
"*" indicates required fields
Pastoral Care is a lay-led ministry providing a listening ear so that no one in the congregation feels alone during difficult times in their life. Our specially trained team works collaboratively with our minister to expand the congregation’s pastoral care presence.
If you’re struggling with a challenge and you need someone to talk to, to help process what is happening, or to share your grief, our team can offer a compassionate, listening ear. Learn more in our Mission Statement.
Example of concerns you might bring to the Pastoral Team include:
- When you are facing a problem with your children, parents or anyone else…
- When you’ve lost your job or are considering a new career…
- When you’re having trouble in your relationship or marriage…
- When there is illness, hospitalization or death…
- When you are facing an important decision…
- When you or someone you are close to is dealing with addiction or a mental health issue…
If you would like pastoral care for yourself or someone else, please contact the Pastoral Care Team.
Contact: Ann Mowery, Chair | email@example.com